1031 Blog Stay up-to-date on the latest 1031 News

Join the Crowd

Intro to Cost Segregation

What is Cost Segregation

Cost Segregation is the practice of identifying personal property assets and their costs and classifying those assets for federal tax reporting purposes.

Most experienced real estate investors know that the IRS allows different types of property to be depreciated at different rates. An apartment complex owner is allowed to write off “short life assets” (such as carpets, roofing, HVAC, etc.) at different rates than the structural or “real asset.” The study that officially determines these differing value and depreciation schedules is called a Cost Segregation Study.

Cost Segregation Process

A Cost Segregation Study can be completed by a specialist performing a detailed engineering study on the property. Keep in mind, not all "specialists" are created equal. The IRS states: "The preparation of cost segregation studies requires knowledge of both the construction process and the tax law involving property classifications for depreciation purposes. Unfortunately, there are no prescribed qualifications for cost segregation preparers. However, a preparer’s credentials and level of expertise may have a bearing on the overall accuracy and quality of a study.”1

"In general, a study by a construction engineer is more reliable than one conducted by someone with no engineering or construction background. However, the possession of specific construction knowledge is not the only criterion. Experience in cost estimating and allocation, as well as knowledge of the applicable tax law are also important criteria.”1

It's important to thoroughly research specialists and choose those with a proven track record and a deep understanding of producing "Quality" Cost Segregation Studies as outlined by the IRS.1 Next week we'll discuss the benefits of Cost Segregation Studies and how some investors pair them with a tax-deferred 1031 exchange.

1. https://www.irs.gov/businesses/cost-segregation-audit-technique-guide-chapter-4-principal-elements-of-a-quality-cost-segregation-study-and-report

Learn More About Our 1031 Services

This material does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security. An offer can only be made by a prospectus that contains more complete information on risks, management fees and other expenses. This literature must be accompanied by, and read in conjunction with, a prospectus or private placement memorandum to fully understand the implications and risks of the offering of securities to which it relates. As with all investing, investing in private placements are speculative in nature and involve a degree of risk, including loss of your principal. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results and forward-looking statements and projections are not guaranteed to achieve the results described and your actual returns may vary significantly. Investments in private placements are illiquid in nature and there may be no secondary market or ability to sell the investment should the need for liquidity arise. This material should not be construed as tax advice and you should consult with your tax advisor as individual tax situations will vary. Securities offered through Capulent, LLC, member FINRA, SIPC.